Sunday, November 5, 2017

Interdisciplinary Cultural Competence

1. What changes in attitudes, knowledge, and skills does diversity/cross-cultural training bring about? 
There are many changes that are brought about from cross-cultural training.  People that go through diversity training learn to turn their negative images of a culture into positive ones.  Before going through this type of training many people have single stories attached to a culture or race. They have a difficult time relating to or understanding what a different does and why.  Through diversity training people can learn to be open and accepting of others in situations they normally wouldn't have been.  Healthcare providers will be better skilled to attend to all their patients needs. It is important to note that cross-cultural training isn't done when you complete a course.  It should continue on your whole life because there is always something new to learn or understand.
2. Is there a common definition of cultural competence that is useful in broad range of fields? 
Cultural Competence- "the ability to understand, appreciate and interact with people from cultures or belief systems different from one's own"1
I found this definition one that could be very useful in a broad range of fields.  But when considering the health field I like this definition much better:
 "Cultural competence is more than just being aware of differences; it refers to demonstrating attitudes and an approach that allows you to work effectively cross-culturally. It implies valuing and adapting to diversity; being aware of your own identity and cultural biases; and being able to manage the dynamics of treating people who are different."2

Reflect on progress toward your learning outcomes identified in post #3.
Looking back at my three original learning goals, I feel like I have made some changes.
Goal 1:I want to look for ways to improve on how I perceive patients. I thought if I was conscientious about it, I could avoid or get rid of my negative thoughts or assumptions about people. After taking this quiz I found that you actually can't just get rid of those feelings by thinking about it or being "conscientious" about it. Everyone has some form of prejudices about different people and they are a part of life. There are ways to work around those prejudices and remove them by learning, but you can't just think them away.
I have since taken this class, learned about diversity in non-verbal communication with the presentation I had to create and also gone though some diversity training at work.  All of these are helping me learn to break away from my prejudices I had.
Goal 2: When working with someone that has different cultural beliefs on medicine explaining why they are wrong is not the way to go. Even if you do it gently. I would like to work on some tactics that will help me work WITH a patient that has different beliefs, so they still get the treatment they need to get healthy.
Goal 3: I learned that even though someone has a belief in traditional medicine and treatment, that doesn't mean they aren't willing to try "Western" medicine. I would like to learn ways to interact with someone that normally uses traditional medicine, but could benefit from "Western" or "Conventional" treatments.
Goal 2 and 3 I wanted to tackle together since they are similar. Besides the basics that I have learned though this class I haven't had much of a chance to tackle these goals.  I did however learn through this class how important it is to work WITH the patients beliefs, instead of against them.  When working against them neither you nor the patient will get the best results.  When you take the time to learn and work together it will result in a better outcome.  I am attending an event on diversity in 2 days with a Native American keynote speaker, so I look forward to learning even more there.




References:
1. DeAngelis T. In search of cultural competence. American Psychological Association. 2015; 46(3):64. http://www.apa.org/monitor/2015/03/cultural-competence.aspx. Accessed Nov 5, 2017.

2. UOttowa. From Cultural Awareness to Cultural Competency. https://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Serv_Culture_e.htm#definitions. Updated Aug 1, 2017. Accessed Nov 5, 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment